Funny how we can find time to surf the internet, check Facebook, Twitter, etc, and yet find no time to share with you all the recent happenings for Doug and Marti.
I will journey back to Easter weekend. Doug had to work and in an effort to be a good homemaker, I decided to make pasta, sauce and meatballs - all from scratch. It was an ambitious endeavor for me because I had not yet made our family favorite - cavatellis - on my own. I had helped a number of times, but doing this on my own was new and exciting to me. It was wonderful to not have the pressure of a specific meal time. I spent the entire day enjoying my kitchen, my le creuset stock pot, the smell of fresh meatballs and most importantly grandma’s cavatelli machine. Fun story! The machine was given to me at our wedding shower by my Great Aunt Cristine. She had actually purchased the machine from one of grandma’s garage sales years ago. The box in and of itself is a throwback to a bygone era. The packaging mentioned that this brand of machine has been used by good Italian housewives for a number of years. I do hope I can live up to that!
I documented the preparations and you can view a sample of my photos with this animoto video. http://animoto.com/play/ZYeDs17G57knxkFmdaX1AA
You can also view photos on our picasa page at http://picasaweb.google.com/martini7577
One thing I was unable to capture, which I am certain made those watching over me chuckle. In order to use the machine you must attach it to the table - like a vice. I placed a wash cloth underneath the machine to protect the wood table. However, the location on the table or the table itself prevented a secure connection. When I was ready to run my dough through the machine, it kept shifting around on me. I improvised, as I was home alone, and put my leg up and pressed it against the machine to keep it from turning. Inevitably, I managed to make all the pasta with only one decent sized bruise on my thigh. The table didn’t come away unmarked, but it adds to the character. It also makes me smile when I see the scars.
Doug’s mom, Rose, joined us for dinner and we enjoyed the fresh sausage (from Caputos - nummy), and all other fixins. I must continue to perfect the process! It’s not so scary after all.

1 comment:
Oh it looks so good Marti! I've never had this...or heard of it. I would love to try it sometime!
Post a Comment