Saturday, November 15, 2008

Welcome to our blog!



Since Doug and I can't seem to keep track of what we are doing on a regular basis, we thought a blog might help us, our friends and family keep track of the haps!

So, I will jump in with a quick summary of life as we know it. We dove right into 2008 turning our world upside down. I got a new job with Allstate Insurance in January as Regional Marketing Manager for Allstate New Jersey and Doug went back to school in May to obtain a smorgasbord of flight certifications getting him within arms reach of a job at the airlines.So far, I am loving my job. The role is to activate marketing programs on the local level increasing brand awareness for the organization as well as our agents. Me and my team (3 lovely ladies - Jan, Kay, & Tana) work on educating the agents as well as the main goal of bringing in new business leads. I really enjoy the work from coordinating our media plan to setting up group sponsorship opportunties for our agents. My team is awesome and the leadership staff for ANJ are all great people and have welcomed me with open arms. Despite the stigma that New Jersey has, it really is a beautiful state (in most parts). I travel there about two times a month.

Doug flew off to ATP (AIrline Transport Professionals) in Atlanta back in May. He was there until August completing an intensive course of study obtaining multiengine ratings, certified flight instructor ratings and a whole lot more (he can fill you in on the details!). Upon his return, we celebrated his 30th birthday and he got a job working as a flight instructor for Windy City Flyers. WCF is based out of Palwaukee (Chicago Executive) Airport which is very close to my office in Northbrook. We have been able to do the long commute together, which is a bonus for us because we are able to spend more time together and run errands on the way home, etc. I had always felt this weight on me when dealing with the hour long commute knowing he was already at home and I wanted nothing more than to be beamed home to be with Doug and Ginger (and to eat dinner, of course!). So far, Doug really enjoys the work and looks forward to growing his list of students and racking up more hours.

I would be remiss to not touch base on the one big thing that has been happening in our life for about a year now. Back in early November 2007, Mom was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer - adenocarcinoma. Needless to say, it has been some hectic times as Mom went through treatment and a severe change in lifestyle. Back in July, the doctor told her she was in remission. A word, quite honestly, none of us had expected to hear. I personally, have been guarded in talking about this, because....well, just because. After a follow up in September, we still have the all clear. It's pretty remarkable. In August, Mom's home in Georgia sold and she is now living with Tony & Sara in Springfield, MO. As you can imagine, it's a period of adjustment for all. We are just blessed with the remission news and now Mom has to work at finding out how other ailments (discovered prior to the cancer diagnosis) can be alleviated and get her back to normal speed again.

Doug and I are preparing for the Tour de Missouri around Thanksgiving. We will be heading to see our friends BJ & Bob and their twin girls - Sydni & Quinci. From there, we drive down to Springfield to spend turkey day with Mom, Tony, Sara, Gracie & Sonnie. The day after tryptophan coma, we head to Eldon to visit with Dad & Kathy before heading back home. I am really looking forward to the road trip and seeing everyone.

Other recent happenings:
Dad and Kathy came out for a visit back in early October and it was so nice to show them around the quaint towns of the Fox River Valley. Doug and I both love St. Charles and Geneva and enjoy introducing others to their charm. We had a wonderful lunch at the Grotto - an Italian Tapas joint. The chianti was killer and the weather, beyond fabulous. I was a good hostess by making blueberry scones...from scratch (recipe by Jaime Latzman!) and felt I could do anything after making something so yummy!

We went apple picking with the LaSalle's and I was a photo snapping fool with our beautiful nieces - Morgan, Grace & Mia. I ended up making two batches of homemade apple sauce from the apples picked that day! (I continue to show I am not a total slouch when it comes to cooking!)
From Apple Picking 10-5-08

A few weeks later we celebrated Sara's birthday with a trip to see the So You Think You Can Dance tour...awesome! Gracie also found her long lost friend Courtney at the American Girl Place. Mom was able to be part of all the fun as the ladies took over the city. It was so wonderful to have the house abuzz with guests.
From Gracie's Big Day in Chicago


So, I think that's it for now. Time to go take care of some errands. Look for
updates again soon. Lots of love!


No comments: