I recently read a blog entry that a friend forwarded regarding the new year and how one will choose to make a change or have a focus for the year. The idea is to have a word...only one...that will be a driving force behind how you live your life in 2010. I chose the word "meaning". Click here to see the blogpost that inspired my one word.
So, what does living by that one word really MEAN? I want to have a checks and balances system when deciding on next steps in my day, week, month and life. If whatever is placed in front of me does not result in meaning of some sort, then I must make a concious effort to learn to say no.
I want to find more meaning in time spent with family, my friendships, my work, and even the mundane stuff such as "keeping house".
I wish that all whom I love and care for can find even more meaning in this wonderful life in 2010.
****
So, let me dish a little on my Cleveland trip. What a chaotic time to make a family trip, but oh so worth it. I arrived in Cleveland on a Wednesday evening. I was greeted at my gate (which, since 9-11 has been an impossibility) by my cousin Jen who was also just arriving from a flight. Freddie picked us up and we went to Aunt Lu's (my Godmother). We drank Moscato, ate cheese, and chatted about anything and everything. Including some of my favorite topics - Bradley Cooper and Ryan Reynolds.
Freddie cooked us up some steaks and we were soon joined by Aunt Lu, Nick (Jen's husband) and later, Uncle Fred.
But not only was it good to see the fam face to face, we had to add some healthy competition. Adjourning to the TV room, a fierce game of Wii Mario Kart ensued. Holy cow, do I stink! Things got loud and we had a ball. We also tried our hand at Wii Super Mario Bros. If you have not played it yet, let me tell you one thing...much MUCH harder when you have 4 people trying to accomplish all the tasks. Phrases heard during play: "Come 'on Jen!", "Stop jumping on my head", "Explative, I died", "Oh wait, there I am...pop my bubble". Good times!!
Thursday was a day of relaxation with my Aunt Lu. We had a blast. We enjoyed a delicious lunch at Heck's in Ohio City. Where we enjoyed hot tea and unique lunch creations. Aunt Lu had the Spring Chicken with carmelized pears, almonds and blue cheese and I enjoyed the Turkey Wrap, which may not sound exotic but it had havarti cheese and cranberry mayo. YUM!!
After lunch, we toured around the area and also into Tremont where we loaded up on some delightful cupcakes (to share with others of course) from A Cookie and A Cupcake.
We then ventured over into the Murray Hill (Little Italy) part of town and on to Coventry Street to just sight see and joy ride.
Aunt Lu also took me to Gallucci's, an italian market, where we browsed the aisles and salivated over the sweets, the pasta, the olives, everything. Click here to check out their site.
After returning home, we relaxed and then headed out for chinese food. A great day!
Friday - Freddie, Uncle Fred and I went over to my Great Uncle and Aunt's house - Uncle Patsy and Aunt Christine. We chatted over Jimmy John's (mmm the Italian Night Club) and just after we finished eating, Aunt Christine left the room with a small plate - Freddie said she was going to get some pizzelles. Sure enough, she reappeared with a plateful of the delicious cookies. It was such a nice visit and I am glad I was able to spend a few hours with them catching up.
In the evening, we all headed over to my Uncle Joe's house where the entire clan congregated for sausage and pizza and wine. It was so fun to see aunts, uncles, cousins, and kiddos.
After enjoying the visit, the cousins headed into Downtown Willoughby where we had some martinis at Olivor Twist and then made our way to Mularkey's for some good beer. It's always great to be around my cousins and my family. There are four of us cousins that were born about 2 months apart, May - July - September - November. We all might have different thing happening in our lives, but family remains the same.
Saturday it was girls day out - making memories! Aunt Lu, Aunt Betty, Aunt Janice, Jen, Laura and I went to the Westside Market. What a cool place! Vendors setup their fresh produce, meats, cheeses and sweets in this indoor market that has been a fixture of Cleveland for 100 years. I enjoyed taking photos and bugging my eyes out at all the good looking food.
*** So my photos had troubles posting. To view the album - visit:
http://picasaweb.google.com/martini7577/ClevelandJanuary2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCIuBl4uBmvCFyQE&feat=directlink
After the market, we made our way to Lucky's Cafe in Tremont. The local restaurant had been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. The atmosphere and coziness, did not dissappoint. As we contemplated what to eat over our ENOURMOUS mugs of hot tea and coffee, we all debated eating their signature Mac N Cheese at 9:30am!
Both Laura (13) and I went for it and ordered the baked mac n cheese. Here are the details (my mouth is watering as I type this) - Cheddar, Brie, Parmasean, and Mozzarella Cheeses baked with pasta and cream, topped with brioche bread crumbs. (I added bacon to mine...why not?!) Served with housemade apple sauce. What an amazing flavor. Everyone at the table, was happy with their meals as Lucky's uses fresh ingredients and makes as much as they can, on site.
Laura and I were happy to share our mac n cheese (to an extent) because we just LOVED it so much. The server suggested dipping the pasta in the apple sauce, which I would have never done if not prompted. WOOOOOOWWWW!! Making memories, indeed.
As if we hadn't done enough already by 10:30 am, and as food coma wanted to set in, we decided we would make our way to a pottery place. Jen, Laura, Aunt Lu and I all painted our own creations and enjoyed just relaxing and being with each other.
My flight back to Chicago was later on Saturday evening. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay with my amazing family. I hope that a girls trip to Chicago comes to fruition. I know we would have a blast.
*** So my photos had troubles posting. To view the album - visit:
http://picasaweb.google.com/martini7577/ClevelandJanuary2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCIuBl4uBmvCFyQE&feat=directlink




No comments:
Post a Comment